(PDF) Feb. 7, 2018 - At last night's Board of Education meeting, the Board approved calendars for the next two school years, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020.
School calendars are developed by Caroline County Public School staff in accordance with state law and with the input of a variety of local stakeholder groups in order to best meet the needs of our students and the community.
- Governor Hogan's Executive Order in January 2016 requires all Maryland K-12 public schools to begin the school year no earlier than the Tuesday immediately following the nationally observed Labor Day holiday, and to adjourn no later than June 15. Local boards of education have the option to apply to the state for a waiver based on specific circumstances.
- Maryland law requires that schools be open for pupil attendance 180 days and a minimum of 1,080 hours during a ten-month period. The law also defines the high school year as 180 days with a minimum requirement of 1,170 hours during a ten-month period.
- Maryland law requires schools to be closed on these specific holidays:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Birthday
- Presidents' Day
- Good Friday through the day after Easter
- Memorial Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- American Indian Heritage Day (Friday after Thanksgiving)
- Christmas Day through the end of the year