Federalsburg Elementary School students led the Pledge of Allegiance during the October Board of Education Meeting.
The Board of Education approved a Resolution for Custodians Appreciation Week (October 10-14, 2016):
The Board recognized the following:
Caroline County Public Schools received, for the third year in a row, a $25,000 Monsanto Grant Award. The grant is a competitive grant open to qualifying school districts who are first nominated by local farmers. Once nominated, school districts complete the grant application process. The $25,000 will be used to purchase materials and provide staff development for the newly revised Physical Science course to align it to the Next Generation Science Standards.
Caroline County had five schools recognized by the Maryland Center for Character Education at Stevenson University. The awards program recognizes schools or districts that demonstrate an outstanding character education initiative yielding positive results in student behavior, school climate, and academic performance.
North Caroline High School received an Honorable Mention for the 2016 State School of Character. Additionally, the following schools received the MD Center for Character Education 2015-2016 School of the Year Award: Greensboro Elementary, Preston Elementary, Colonel Richardson Middle, Colonel Richardson High and North Caroline High.
REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
The Board of Education heard the following reports and presentations:
- National Hispanic Month School Activities
- September 30, 2016 Enrollment Report
- Class Size Report
- Board of Education Budget Calendar
- Capital Projects Update
The Board of Education approved the following action items:
- Citizens Advisory Committee Members
- FY 2018 Capital Improvement Program
- FY 2017 Comprehensive Maintenance Program
- Negotiation Team
- Request for Waiver of Legislative Audit
- Retirement Plan Compliance
- Personnel Items
- Overnight Field Trip Request (NorthBay trip for all county sixth graders)
The Board discussed the following items:
- Graduation Policy - 2nd Reading
- Freedom of Expression in Student Journalism Policy - 2nd Reading
- Waiver Request for Pre-Labor Day Start