Students from Federalsburg Elementary Schools' Backyard Bunch Environmental Club opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance. Members included: Austin Alexander, Dominick Conley, Stephen Davila, Kalei Durando, MaClay Fisher, Summer Smith, Brennan Thomas, Faith Thomas, Isaac Uva and Jatiera Williams.
The Board of Education held a vote to name a president, and vice president to serve from December 2015 to December 2016. The board voted to have Mr. James Newcomb Jr. as the new president, and Mr. Walter B. Palmer, III as the new vice president.
Mikayla Glanden, Colonel Richardson High School, was recognized for having her artwork chosen by the Board for their 2015 Board of Education holiday greeting card.
Olivia Christopher, Federalsburg Elementary School, was recognized for placing third in the 2015 Caroline County Fifth Grade Spelling Bee. Also recognized was Joseph Turner, Greensboro Elementary School, for placing second in the contest.
Kelsey Limpert and Jeannette Banko, Colonel Richardson High School students, were recognized for having artwork chosen for the MAEA Visual Art Student Showcase at the Walters Art Gallery and the BWI Youth Art Gallery. Also chosen, but not pictured, were Baylee Foxwell and Samantha Lankford of Colonel Richardson Middle School.
Melvin Williams, Emma Murray and Hunter Geisel, North Caroline High School, were recognized for placing first in the Salisbury University Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition. Geisel, who is not pictured, also won first place in the individual competition.
REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
The Board of Education heard reports on the following:
- People to People Student Ambassadors: European Heritage Tour - Ms. Tamara Quidas, Greensboro Elementary teacher; Alyssa Baynard, North Caroline High School and Andrew Dixon, Lockerman Middle School, gave a presentation on their recent trip to Europe.
- Mrs. Deborah George, Supervisor of Instruction, gave an update on the Next Generation Science Implementation and Maryland State Integrated Science Assessment Progression for elementary, middle and high schools.
- Mrs. Melissa Mulligan, Supervisor of Instruction, gave an update on restructuring of the math curriculum.
- Legislative Update by Board member Mrs. Louise Cheek.
The Board of Education held discussions on the following:
- 2016-2017 school year calendar. Dr. Patricia Saelens, Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Services, gave an update on three calendar options.
- FY 2017 budget development - Mr.Milton Nagel, Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Services, shared the budget development summary.