Ridgely Elementary School Student Council led the Pledge of Allegiance to open the October 6 Board of Education meeting.
The Board approved a resolution to recognize Custodians and Maintenance Staff Appreciation Week - October 12 - 16, 2015.
The Board also approved a resolution to recognize October as National Principals' Month.
Caroline County Public Schools received a check for $25,000 from the Monsanto America's Farmers Grow Rural Education fund for math/science programs. The money will be used to help implement Active Physical Science course.
- Two parents spoke on the way multiplication is taught in the school system.
- A Colonel Richardson High School student asked to have an Astronomy course taught in the high schools.
REPORTS & PRESENTATIONS
- September 30 Enrollment Report - William Allen, Supervisor of Pupil Services said the total enrollment on September 30 (which is the official count given to the state of Maryland to determine per pupil funding) was 5,606 students. The enrollment is up 14 students from the 2014-2015 school year September 30 enrollment.
- Class Size Report - Patricia Saelens, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction said there is nothing alarming in the class size report. The overall elementary student-teacher ratio is 20 to 1. The average class size at North Caroline High School in the core subjects is 20 students to one teacher; the average class size at Colonel Richardson High School in the core subjects is 18 students to one teacher; the average class size at Lockerman Middle School in the core subjects is 23 students to one teacher and the average class size at Colonel Richardson Middle School in the core subjects is 21 students to one teacher.
- Budget Calendar - Milton Nagel, Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Sevices, presented the tentative calendar to begin putting together the school system's budget for 2016-2017. The board of education will begin the budget development discussion at their board meeting on December 1.
- Legislative Update - Board member Louise Cheek gave an update on possible legislation.
The Board approved the following items:
- Master Plan Executive Summary and Update
- Citizens Advisory Committee members
- FY 2016 Comprehensive Maintenance Plan
- Student Attendance Policy update
- Negotiation Team members
- Personnel items
- Overnight Field Trip to NorthBay Environmental Learning Center for the county's sixth graders from January 25 - 29, 2016.
- Overnight Field Trip for three Caroline Career and Technology Center students to attend the National Future Farmers of America convention in Louisville, Kentucky on October 28 - 31, 2015.
- Overnight Field Trip for the Colonel Richardson High School band to go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina from April 21 - 24, 2016.