The Caroline County Board of Education approved adjustments to the 2014-2015 school calendar, during their March 3 meeting, due to the excessive number of school days missed because of inclement weather. As of March 3, the school system has been shut down eight (8) days for snow or ice. The school calendar has four (4) days built in for inclement weather. Without adjusting the calendar, the days beyond four would be added to the end of the school year in June.
The board approved the following changes:
- Wednesday, April 1 - full day for students and staff (was a half day for students)
- Thursday, April 2 - half day for students and full day for staff (was a full day off)
- **Monday, April 6 - full day for students and staff (was a full day off) ** - pending approval from the Maryland State Department of Education
- Friday, April 17 - half day for students and a full day for staff (was a day off for students)
** Monday, April 6 must be approved by MSDE as it is a state required holiday. If students do not miss any additional days and if MSDE approves Monday, April 6, the last day of school for students will be a half day Tuesday, June 16 and the last day for teachers will be Thursday, June 18.
Interim Superintendent Milton Nagel said if the system does miss any additional days, consideration will be given to request MSDE to waive any additional days given the efforts to absorb as many days as possible into the existing calendar.
The board of education also approved the following items at the March 3 board meeting:
- Board of Education Aspiring Teacher Scholarship Policy - Caroline County Public Schools will provide a scholarship to a deserving graduate to assist in obtaining a four-year degree in the field of education, such as teaching, school counseling, school psychology and speech pathology. The number of scholarships and the amount of the scholarships will be determined based on the local budget to provide one scholarship per year to a graduate from each high school.
- Lease Purchase Financing - The board approved Grant Capital Management, Inc. as the entity for lease purchase financing for the capital costs associated with the Johnson Controls energy performance contract.
- Wide Area Network Service Provider - Authorizes the Superintendent or his designee to begin contract negotiations with the Caroline County Commissioners for a five year contract to provde Wide Area Network to distribute internet access to all of the Caroline County Public Schools and related sites.
- Internet and Network Delivery Infrastructure Equipment and Services bid - Awarded a contract to CDW Government, LLC for various internet and network delivery infrastructure equipment and related services for all of the Caroline County Public Schools.
- Middle School Science textbook - Project Based Inquiry Science (2nd Edition, 2014) textbook series to be used for Grades 6, 7 and 8. The textbook series aligns with the recently adopted Next Generation Science Standards. This series also has significant hands-on laboratory based component engaging all studnets in the practices as well as the content of science.
REPORTS & PRESENTATIONS
The Board of Education heard an update from Mrs. Tearesa French on the Family Support Center and the Federalsburg Judy Center.
Several Ridgely Elementary School third graders led in the Pledge of Allegiance at the Board of Education meeting. These students have achieved 500 steps in the American Reading Company reading program. Each step is represents 15 minutes of reading.