The Caroline County Board of Education held their monthly meeting on Tuesday, May 6, 2014
Federalsburg Elementary School talent show performers led the pledge of allegience to open the meeting.
Megan Weishaupt and Nicholas Belay were honored during the meeting for placing in the American Legion Auxiliary Essay Contest. Weishaupt, Preston Elementary student, placed first in Category I and Belay, Lockerman Middle student, placed first in Category II. They are pictured with Superintendent of Schools Dr. Khalid Mumin and Board Vice President James Newcomb Jr.
Students from Colonel Richardson High School and North Caroline High School were recognized for being selected to attend American Legion Girls State this summer. Pictured from left: Superintendent Dr. Khalid Mumin, CRHS students Megan Jones, Tamera Neal and Alyssa Robison; Board Vice President James Newcomb Jr. Not present were NCHS students: Brianna Dunn, Sara McKee and Jasmyn Robinson.
Two students, one from each high school, were recognized as Service Stars for their community service. From left: Superintendent Dr. Khalid Mumin, Angelica Mercado (CRHS), NCHS student Daniel Lockhart and James Newcomb Jr., Board Vice President.
Ridgely Elementary School student Adam Harper was recognized for being selected the Maryland Day representative from Caroline County to attend the Maryland Day ceremonies at St. Mary's City. Pictured with Harper is Superintendent Dr. Khalid Mumin and Board Vice President James Newcomb Jr.
The Board of Education recognized CRHS Student Representative to the Board Mitchell Wilson for his two years of service to the board. From left: Superintendent Dr. Khalid Mumin, Board Vice President James Newcomb Jr., Board member Walter Palmer II, Wilson, Board member George Abner, Board member Louise Cheek and Board President Tolbert Rowe.
Lockerman Middle School staff and students were recognized by the Board for being named a Top Achiever for the Harvest for Hungry "Kids Helping Kids" food collection campaign.
The Board recognized the 2014-2015 Teacher of the Year Finalists and Winner. In front from left to right: Board member Walter Palmer III, Teacher of the Year Chad Shelly, Colonel Richardson High School; Finalist Mary Jo Kerr, Colonel Richardson Middle School; Finalist Anne Quidas, Colonel Richardson Middle School; Finalist Kiley Sechrist, Greensboro Elementary School; Finalist Katie Southworth, Lockerman Middle School and Superintendent Dr. Khalid Mumin. In back from left to right: Board Vice President James Newcomb Jr., Board Member George Abner, Board Member Louise Cheek and Board President Tolbert Rowe. Not pictured are Finalists Todd Nichols of Federalsburg Elementary School and Antonio Angeloni of Lockerman Middle School.
Also recognized during the meeting was Stanley Lake Jr. of North Caroline High School. Lake was chosen as Maryland General Assembly Student Page. Accepting the recognition for Lake was his grandfather, William Lake.
Reports and Presentations
- Milton Nagel, Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Services and Alan Visintainer of ViTech Services, presented the 2014-2015 enrollment projections. In 2013, there were 5,233 students in kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2014 they are projecting 5,332 students in grades kindergarten through 12th grade.
- Milton Nagel presented an update on energy and 'polar vortex' impact during the winter months of January, February and March 2014.
The Board approved the following items:
- 2014 - 2015 Board Meeting Schedule
- Asbestos Abatement Bid for Preston Elementary School renovation project
- Approval of Administrative Appointment of Courtney Handte as Denton Elementary School Assistant Principal.
- Overnight field trip request for students from North Caroline High School Future Business Leaders of America club to attend the FBLA national conference this summer
Mr. William Q. Allen, Supervisor of Pupil Services, and Dr. Derek Simmons, Supervisor of Instruction gave an update on 'Student Discipline Changes for Maryland Schools'.